Saturday 3 November 2018

Learning to play the Guitar

Olivia is very creative and one of her passions is music. I have a little bit of experience of music, I played in Mossley Hollins School Brass Band, I originally started off by playing the Cello and had lessons that I loved but I was then moved over to playing the Baritone in the school band. I was never a very confident player amongst some extremely talented people in the band. We played at the Royal Albert Hall and went over to play at the Rastede Festival in Germany. Mossley Hollins even produced a record which I was not on and they were a competition band and played amongst the likes of Black Dyke. Our band Master Mr Farrah is a man I still to this day greatly admire.

I felt I did not have the talent it takes to play or the dedication that it takes to become a good player although I did later join a non competition band in Ross-On-Wye when we lived in Hereford in my late 20's.

Olivia is very musical, she loves to sing and I can see her passion brewing with playing the guitar. We have limited spare cash and not enough to stretch to regular weekly lessons so I have to improvise and find online resources at little or no cost to help her develop her talent.

We tinkered around with a few but never really got anywhere until I found one in particular that gave us a few cords that have really given her the confidence to believe in herself that she can play and one day be a good guitarist the guy is called Marty Swartz, check him out his lessons are great




He also plays Olivias favourite Stand By Me that she has been trying to learn.


 The second bit of inspiration has come from her experience of singing with a busker, he played certain cords alongside Olivia singing and she picked up the sounds of that cord and has been playing it on loop from memory. The sounds of those cords are very much like the video below that Olivia likes to practice with.



The third inspiration for learning to play the guitar has come from a program I found on line that is completely free to use. He has a website and a youtube presence.


For now we are going to try to stick to Justin Guitars and follow his website and see how she gets on, hopefully we will be able to afford some proper guitar lessons in the future but for now I will do what I can to help her follow her passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment