Tuesday 10 November 2015

The Merchant Of Venice - A bit of adult learning

While we are covering 1600s I discovered William Shakespeare first released The Merchant of Venice in 1600, whilst this is far to advanced for the twins to even contemplate, I decided to take a closer look myself.

I never covered Shakespeare (if I did, I do not remember) and have had little interest in Shakespeare until now,  during my time of Home educating the twins, Shakespeare comes up repeatedly, so I figure it is a good time for me to learn a little about Shakespeare and find out what all the fuss is about so I am better prepared when the kids do come of age to understand and start learning about Shakespeare, (nowt like being ahead of the game), that way I will be better placed to help them discover Shakespeare for themselves.

There are an awful lot of resources out there for Shakespear, mainly covering GCSE age, there is however quite a lot of attempts to bring Shakespeare to a younger audience.


This is a good place to start The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust http://www.shakespeare.org.uk/learning/schools/shakespeare-week.html

which does bring Shakespeare to children from KS1.

I remember signing up to this website earlier in 2014 when it was Shakespeare's birthday. The website itself for Shakespeare Week which occurs in March every year, gives some great KS1 Shakespeare lessons, and re-looking at it we may be able to do something Shakespeare related using this resource. 

There also appears to be a great few days away we could have in the future focusing on Shakespeare and maybe a workshop or two in Stratfor-Upon-Avon.

There also happens to be a course starting on future learn covering Shakespeare so I think I will sign up you can find that course by clicking on this link https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/explore-english-shakespeare or the picture the picture below

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/explore-english-shakespeare


So far Shakespeare looks promising and to start me off I have decided to end my day with a viewing of The Merchant of Venice on Youtube, which is actually the full film, if nothing else it will help me fall asleep, let my discovery of Shakespeare begin.




No comments:

Post a Comment